VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
Guided Learning Hours
Minimum Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for this qualification is 345 GLH
The primary outcome of the VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy (QCF) is to prepare you to enter a specific sector and job role. All the units in this qualification relate directly to the specific job role of a junior beauty therapist.
The VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy (QCF) is a substantial vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as a junior beauty therapist. This qualification is designed for learners aged 16 years or over and will support you to gain employment as a junior beauty therapist, as the units contained in this qualification cover all the skills and knowledge required for this role. Entry onto this qualification can be via previous attainment of a Level 1 qualification in beauty therapy and/or a successful skills test and interview.
This is a vocational qualification and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a junior therapist including, mandatory units covering the following: facial skincare, waxing, eyelash and eyebrow treatments, manicure, pedicure, client care and health and safety.
You will also have the opportunity to further develop your understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional specialist units which include: the application of tanning techniques, applying make-up and instruction on make-up application, removing hair using alternatives to wax such as threading or sugaring, eyelash perming, ear piercing or the creative skill of nail art, reception duties and displaying stock to promote sales. The structure of this qualification provides you with the flexibility to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills required to become a junior beauty therapist.
What could this qualification lead to?
This is one of three VTCT qualifications in beauty therapy at Level 2. Whilst all qualifications will qualify you to become a junior beauty therapist, this qualification allows you to gather evidence in a realistic working environment or real working environment without the need for fee paying clients. In contrast, the VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy General (QCF) requires you to work in a commercial salon whereby assessments must be carried out on real paying clients in line with commercial service times. When compared with the VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Specialist Techniques (QCF) which has a minimum of 456 GLH, The VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Studies (QCF) is smaller (at 345 GLH) and is more suited to delivery in a College of Further Education (CFE) as the substantial vocational component of a Study Programme. Holders of this qualification are eligible to gain the professional membership and insurance cover recommended for entry to employment as a junior beauty therapist.
Career opportunities exist in a variety of contexts as a junior beauty therapist, including:
– Working in commercial beauty salons
– Working in a retail concession in a department store
– Working independently/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
Whilst this qualification’s primary purpose is to prepare learners for employment as a junior beauty therapist learners may choose to develop their skills further by undertaking Technical Level qualifications in beauty therapy at Level 3, these include:
– VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy General (QCF)
– VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Studies (QCF)
– VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Make-Up (QCF)
– VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Massage (QCF)
– VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Nail Services (QCF)
Progression opportunities also exist in the form of specialist VTCT vocationally related qualifications:
– Level 3 Diploma in Make-Up Artistry (QCF)
– Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-Up (QCF)
– Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology (QCF) – Level 3 Diploma in Massage Therapy (QCF)
– Level 3 Diploma in Spa and Body Treatments (QCF) – Level 3 Diploma in Beauty Therapy Treatments (QCF)
– Level 3 Certificate in Fashion and Photographic Make-Up (QCF) – Level 3 Certificate in Swedish Massage (QCF)
– Level 3 Certificate in Stone Therapy Massage (QCF) – Level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage (QCF)
– Level 3 Certificate in Camouflage Make-Up (QCF) – Level 3 Certificate in Micro Dermabrasion Treatments (QCF)
– Level 3 Certificate in Epilation (QCF) – Level 3 Certificate in Facial Electrotherapy (QCF)
– Level 3 Certificate in Face and Body Art (QCF)
– Level 3 Certificate in Massage Using Pre- Blended Aromatherapy Oils (QCF)
– Level 3 Award in Lash Extensions (QCF)
– Level 3 Award in Advanced (Intimate) Waxing Techniques (QCF)
– Level 3 Award in Tanning Treatments (QCF)
– Level 3 Award in Spa Treatments (QCF)
– Level 3 Award in Nail Art (QCF)
– Level 3 Award in Airbrush Make-Up (QCF)
Who supports this qualification?
This qualification is based on the beauty therapy National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK’s leading professional association, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC) as being fit for purpose for preparing you for a career as a junior beauty therapist. Holders of this qualification are eligible to become a professional member of BABTAC. Further information on BABTAC membership can be found here. BABTAC